Development & Real Estate
Estate Planning & Probate
Personal Injury & Insurance Defense
Public & Government Law
Health Care Law
LISA CAREY DEAN
Lisa Carey Dean joined Roderick Linton Belfance, LLP in 2008 and became a partner of the firm in 2015. Her legal work is focused primarily on family law with specialties including divorce, dissolution, prenuptial agreements, custody and support issues. She is a skilled litigator who represents clients and makes court appearances on their behalf in Summit, Portage, Stark, and Medina counties.
Lisa is a lifelong resident of Summit County, Ohio. She earned her undergraduate degree, with honors, from Kent State University and received her Juris Doctor from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. While in law school, she received recognition for her outstanding performance in Criminal Procedure and was offered an Externship with the United States Attorney’s Office located in Cleveland. Lisa also participated in Moot Court competitions and was elected by her classmates as a Senator of the Student Bar Association.
Prior to beginning her private practice as an attorney, Lisa served the public in the appellate division of the Summit County and the Portage County Prosecutor’s Offices. While at the Portage County Prosecutor’s Office, Lisa wrote briefs in favor of the application of “Megan’s Law” (requiring sexually oriented offenders to register), and others that were ultimately argued before the Supreme Court of Ohio.
Lisa also served the public as Judicial Attorney to the Honorable Judge Judith A. Nicely (retired) of the Summit County Domestic Relations Court. She was acknowledged by Baldwin’s Ohio Practice on Domestic Relations Law for her assistance to Judge Nicely in the publication of the 2000 Edition of Chapter 19: Child Support.
After serving the public for a number of years, Lisa entered private practice as a trial attorney. She has accumulated a wealth of knowledge and experience during her past 18 years of practice handling complex litigation involving business valuations, real estate transactions, complex divisions of retirement and investment accounts, and many other multifaceted legal issues. She is also recognized in our community as a zealous and respected advocate for the rights of family members, including her noted work to advance the rights of same-sex marriage partners and parents. Lisa has also appeared and argued before the Ninth District and Eleventh District Courts of Appeals. Additionally, Lisa completed extensive training through a program created by the Supreme Court of Ohio to become a certified mediator. She uses this training to resolve countless matters by way of settlement, with the goal of saving time and money for her clients.
Lisa has remained very active in serving the Akron community throughout her legal career. Her past service to the Akron Bar Association includes: Chair of the Family Law Section, Member of the Commission of Judicial Candidates (three years), and speaker and presenter to the Akron Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Child Support
- Same-Sex Family Law
- Domestic Violence
- Child Custody
- Father's Rights
- Ohio, 1999
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
- Juris Doctor - 1998
- Kent State University
- Bachelor of Arts - 1992
- Honors: cum laude
- Presenter to the Volunteer Legal Services Program
- Court selected presenter to Leadership Akron, Justice Day Mock Trial (two consecutive years)
- Judge for the Regional and National Mock Trial Competitions, Case Western Reserve
- Assistant Coach - Local Mock Trial
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Summit County Domestic Relations Court, Parent Coordinator Task Force
- Summit County Domestic Relations Court, Local Rules Committee
- Summit County Domestic Relations Court, Long Distance Task Force
- Barberton Kiwanis, Member
- Akron Chapter of the NAACP, Lifetime Member
- Akron Bar , Fellow
- Ohio Bar , Fellow
Past Employment Positions
- Kathryn Belfance & Associates, Associate, 2004 to 2008
- Randal Lowry & Associates, Associate, 2000 to 2004
Pro Bono Activities
- Co-chair of United Way Campaign
- Guardian ad Litem in Summit, Medina and Portage Counties
- Board of Directors of the Victim's Assistance Program of Akron